- Brainstorming and finalizing content ideas. Check.
- Creation of creatively engaging content. Check.
- Tweaking and optimizing the final video. Check.
- Analyzing, researching, and choosing killer tags for your YouTube channel video. Check.
- Compose a compelling video description. Check.
If you are one of those YouTubers checking off all these essential steps to creating an engaging video for your YouTube subscribers, stop right here and think again. Aren’t you missing something? Most YouTubers make this simple yet harmful mistake of overlooking one of the most important features of marketing your YouTube channel: a good YouTube channel description.
It is very easy to get confused between a YouTube channel description and a YouTube video description. They both may sound similar, but they are quite distinctively different, and absolutely necessary to draw the attention of your potential YouTube channel subscribers. So, let’s begin by understanding the difference between the two:
- A YouTube video description – This is the text presented below each of your videos. This text has to be an attractive, short description of the content in your video that helps your viewers decide whether to watch it or not.
- A YouTube channel description – This text appears on your channel’s ‘About’ page and helps viewers understand what types of videos they can watch on your channel. It gives you more information including links, hashtags, and schedules. It appears as the last tab in a row of options along with Home, Videos, Playlists, Communities and Channels.
Unfortunately, most YouTubers tend to ignore the YouTube channel description, thinking that viewers will not be interested in checking out the ‘About’ page. Well, I am here to tell you that this is the most critical blunder you may ever make. If you truly desire to generate good traffic on your YouTube channel, you must be able to write a well-researched, compelling and creative channel description. This description is critical in boosting your channel subscribers, SEO, video views and watch time because this text appears in YouTube’s ‘suggested search’ function and Google’s search results. If you do not have a good channel description, chances are higher for viewer traffic to be very low on your channel. YouTube being second to Google as the world’s most popular search engine should help you attract viewers by generating visibility for your brand.
But fret not! We will help you access the depths of your mind to compose a well-tailored YouTube channel description. You will only be allowed 1000 characters (including spaces) to write a good description, so make sure that every word counts. Use some of these tips and tricks to write a killer description.
Without further ado, let’s cruise on.
1. Describe Your Channel.
This might seem like the most obvious tip, but you will be surprised at the number of people who get this basic goal wrong. Your description must tell the viewers what they can expect to see in your videos. You can explain what they may hope to learn, and unique benefits offered by your videos. Keep in mind that they should be able to quickly grasp your quick-witted humor and undisputable charisma through the text. Don’t unnecessarily use big words and overcrowd the text because this will fail to attract attention.
2. Include Specialized Keywords.
Choose wisely 3-4 keywords that best describe your content to maximize search traffic for your channel. It is important to note that YouTube’s algorithm places a lot of importance on the keywords written on your ‘About’ page. Make sure to type in the best keywords that describe your channel and use them a couple of times or more for increased traffic. But make sure you do NOT overstuff the keywords as they may get flagged as ‘keyword stuffing’. Let’s also be careful about the spelling and grammar.
3. Insert Links.
Do not forget to add links to your website, online store or social media. Viewers should be able to research and find you easily on the internet to know you are legit and not some scammer wooing them. You may also add an introductory video or a trailer to your channel. Links are the best way to earn credibility for your work from the viewers.
4. Make an Upload Schedule.
To make your channel more attractive to viewers, include a video schedule to ensure that your subscribers keep coming back for more. This is a powerful way to increase traffic since some people love following video schedules to know what they can expect from you throughout the week or month. It is a great way to engage with your viewers and facilitate growth of your channel. All your real YouTube subscribers will be waiting for the updates so don’t make them wait too long!
5. Call to Action.
Your channel will finally get that extra edge, if you can instigate your viewers to take the next step or perform the next action. This action could be whatever you require the viewers to do for your channel’s growth. For instance, subscribing to your channel, commenting on the videos, suggesting topics for the next video or signing up to your email list. Here are a few examples,
- If you’re ready to roll for our next workout session, simply click on the subscribe button to get updates on my next video!
- If you are new to my channel, check out my previous videos given in the links below and subscribe to my channel for some more humorous takes on Bollywood movies!
- Comment below on what you would like to see next and of course don’t forget to subscribe by clicking on that bell icon for some fun videos.
6. Know Your Audience.
Use language, words or phrases that your viewers will relate to in a very smooth, and natural manner. Your text must be able to connect with your audience and convey your message aptly. Be careful with your lingo because not all age groups know the current trends of slang.
7. Focus on the Beginning of your Description.
The first 125 words of your description appears in search results above the fold while the rest remain hidden. This is crucial to grasp the attention of your viewers. Mention your top keywords and create a compelling first few lines of text. Here are a few examples,
- Want to be more charismatic and confident? We make videos to help you learn how to be more confident, how to make people laugh…. [Charisma on Command- YouTube]
- Over 500 free full length workout videos + new workouts every Monday! [FitnessBlender- YouTube]
8. Utilize Timestamps.
Make sure you add timestamps to your description so that viewers can skip to the content they want. These timestamps are extremely useful for long videos, tutorials, music albums and educational content. Viewers will find your channel way more convenient than the rest with this feature.
9. YouTube Analytics.
This marvelous feature allows you to understand which keywords are creating the most traffic, so that you can insert them sufficiently in your description. Again, be sure to not stuff keywords, as this may prove harmful to your channel. You can also use this feature to discover new keywords that you might have missed earlier.
10. Credit to Sources.
If you used music tracks or inserts of videos in your YouTube channel, make sure you give credit to the sources at the bottom of the description. You can also provide links to their social media or YouTube channels to establish some rapport with the collaborator. You can increase growth of viewers on your channel by collaborating with popular YouTubers.
What Should You Avoid Doing in Your Description?
While compiling your YouTube channel description, make sure you follow YouTube’s guidelines and avoid violating their terms. As they say, it is better to be safe than sorry!
- Copyright Infringement is a huge no no.
- Avoid content that violates the community guidelines.
- Do not use special characters such as ^ < > because it will be removed.
- Avoid vulgar or violent hashtags that violate community guidelines.
There are plenty more ideas you can incorporate for a compelling YouTube channel description such as adding hashtags to increase traffic. Be careful not to use more than 15 hashtags in your description, doing so will result in YouTube ignoring all of them. For more ideas, you can check out channels of popular YouTubers.
Understand necessary specificities of their content and increase the growth of your channel by drawing inspiration from them. Of course don’t plagiarize, try to develop your own unique style.
Once you nail your YouTube channel description, don’t forget to go back to your video content and ensure that it relates to the description. The last thing you want is for the viewers to be miffed at inaccurate descriptions of the channel. Though all this may seem like hard work, we promise you that it pays off! There you go, now you know how important it is to craft good descriptions. Let’s get started.